Sat, 16 Jan 2021

According to the full Fundudzi Forensic Services report released by Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Wednesday former CEO Thabang Moroe "instructed" communications officers Thamsanqa Mthembu and Koketso Gaofetoge to revoke media accreditation of five journalists last year.

Fundudzi was tasked, among seven major items in their investigations scope, to solve the "who done it" of the media revocation saga that led to Moroe's December suspension, which had a domino effect on the entire cricketing organisation.

The five journalists were Firdose Moonda, Telford Vice, Ken Borland, Neil Manthorp and Stuart Hess.

READ | Full Fundudzi report finally released

The matter relating to the banning of journalists is dealt with extensively in the report.

No less than 20 pages are dedicated to the events that led up to, including, and the ramifications of the withdrawal of media accreditation for the five scribes.

It's apparent that there was simmering organisational unhappiness about the perceived negative reporting the organisation was getting from the press, most specifically from the aforementioned writers.

Former CSA president Chris Nenzani, Moroe and current acting CEO Kugandrie Govender expressed a level of concern at and discussed the reportage on the organisation. They were also said to be unhappy with CSA allegedly not being given fair write of reply to stories published.

Nenzani and Moroe allegedly wanted "severe action" taken against "macavelian" (Machiavellian) journalism. As to what that severe action was, it's not specified in the report.

However, Mthembu's and Gaofetoge's versions of events were that Moroe had continuously asked them, in and out of meetings, about when they were revoking journalists' accreditations.

"Mthembu indicated that he was made aware that the issue of revocation of media accreditation was discussed at CSA EXCO prior to him joining CSA," the Fundudzi report says.

"Mthembu indicated that Govender informed him that previously Moroe asked her to revoke media accreditation of certain journalists that Moroe had identified.

"Govender indicated that during a CSA EXCO meeting in which she raised the issue of negative reporting by media, Moroe indicated that CSA should consider to 'close our home'."

Govender, however, disputed Mthembu's claims that Moroe requested her to revoke the journalists' accreditation.

It was said that Mthembu, the then head of communications, and Gaofetoge, who acted as head of media for a period, advised Moroe against revoking journalists' accreditation in executive council meetings (whose records could not be established).

Despite that, Fundudzi found that Mthembu played a heavy hand in and made the decisive communication that resulted in subordinates within the media department Gaofetoge and Sipokazi Sokanyile acting on his instructions.

Two days before the 25 November eventually banning of the five, Mthembu sent a decisive text to Sokanyile, said Fundudzi, in which he said he "received a nod from the CEO (Moroe) to withdraw the membership" of the five journalists.

Wrote Mthembu:

"

Subsequently, Sokanyile presented him with an alternative course of action, which included documented face-to-face meetings with the "problematic" journalists, with a mediator.

If that failed, only then send complaints letters to their editors, write to the Press Ombud and suspend special privileges or revoke accreditation.

READ MORE | Proteas focused on fight against racism and GBV

Despite that, Mthembu wrote to Sokanyile and Gaofetoge saying: "Spokie and KK, I am sending this for your actioning. Please deregister all the people that we have discussed. They are not to form part of any planned future CSA engagements."

On 25 November 2019, Gaofetoge, following Mthembu's documented directive, wrote to CSA ticketing officer Daryl Barrufol, instructing him to revoke the five journalists' accreditation.

Screengrabs of group WhatsApp messages former HR consultant Chantel Moon shared to Fundudzi's investigators show that Mthembu was acting under Moroe's instruction.

As such, Fundudzi found that:

Moroe eventually apologised to the five journalists and issued a public apology, following public backlash at the decision, media criticism all round and sponsors' dismay at the bad publicity.

Source: News24

More Africa News

Access More

Sign up for Sudan News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!