TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol, Dec. 7 (PIA) -- The ban on the entry of live hogs, meat whether raw or processed as well as pork-related products to Bohol, has been extended.
While Executive Orders Number 7 and 8 in August 20, 2019 and Executive Order No. 22 on Sept. 19, 20 mandated a temporary ban on the transportation of pork and pork-related products as well as its entry or the entry of swine feeds from Luzon for a period of 100 days, Executive Order No 55 series of 2019 signed by Gov. Arthur Yap on Nov. 15, 2019 has extended the implementation of Executive Orders 7 and 22 until June 30, 2019.
APPREHENSIONS CONTINUE. According to Provincial Veterinarian Dr. Stella Marie Lapiz (L) the extension in the temporary ban also extends the enforcement and implementation of all measures deemed necessary for the protection of the local hog industry. Beside Lapiz is Dr. Maria Eleonor Abisado (R) of the Bureau of Animal Quarantine Services during a Kapihan sa PIA. (rahc/PIA-7/Bohol)
The new executive order said that based on the latest advisory of the Department of Agriculture, the African Swine Fever (ASF) virus has now spread to more areas in Luzon.
The increase in the number of affected areas in Luzon is just an indication that the ASF situation has not yet been contained, the EO said.
With the onset of the Christmas holidays, the low prices of hogs and pork meat products have made it attractive and tempting for entrepreneurs and even travelers to bring in pork and pork meat products to Bohol from Luzon, considering the accessibility through the Philippine Transnational Highway and the linking ferry services.
"With the stakes too high considering the over 50,000 hog growers and producers in Bohol, most of them backyard raisers, we have to exercise diligent restraint," bared Bohol Provincial veterinarian Dr. Stella Marie Lapiz.
Bohol backyard raisers account for the 86 percent production and the annual 50,501 metric tons of pork meat produced accounts to 82 percent of the total meat supply here, Lapiz stressed.
"One single case of ASF in Bohol, and it would have the potency to wipe out the entire hog industry and that would be devastating to the thousands of industry workers and backyard growers whose income come from hog raising," sad Lapiz.
With the extension of the temporary ban, the governor has also called on the stakeholders to continue the effectivity and enforcement of the unaffected provisions of EO 7 and 22 and all other provisions of the said EOs in so far as they are consistent with the new EO remains to be in full force and effect. (rahc/PIA-7/Bohol)